Data Loss and How To Avoid It
Most of us have experienced the heart stopping moment when you accidentally delete the latest version of an important file.
Try as you may to re-trace your steps but the hours you spent on it were all lost.
The Top 6 Causes of Data Loss
- Failure of your hard drive
- Accidental deletions (user error)
- Computer viruses and malware infections
- Laptop theft
- Power failures
- Liquid damage (spilled water / coffee)
Hard drive crashes account for the highest percentage of data loss, but human errors and issues with software follow closely behind.
Whatever the cause of the data loss, there are preventative steps you can take to avoid this happening:
How to Prevent Data Loss
- Save and backup your files regularly, to multiple locations
- Create an image backup BEFORE the first signs of hard drive failure
- Keep your anti-virus software up to date
- Never open suspicious emails or attachments
- Don’t leave your laptop unattended
- Use a surge protector
- Don’t delete files you don’t know what are, especially system files
- Never keep liquids close to your laptop
If data is deleted by mistake, some of it can generally be retrieved, however not necessarily all the data. The process of recovering is complicated and can be costly too.
Whilst Microsoft Office 365 is the most popular email platform used by, the backup and recover-ability that Microsoft provides and what users assume that they are getting are often very different!
Office 365 ensures the availability of the present state of the data.
It does not back up the data to protect against data loss events.
Even in the cloud, data protection is necessary.
SkyKick Cloud Backup for Office 365
With a back-up software solution such as SkyKick, lost data can be quickly found and restored right back where it was, with no overwrites. This means peace of mind and almost no interruption to your business when data is lost. SkyKick Cloud Backup takes multiple snapshots at regular intervals throughout the day, ensuring that the backups keep up with your customers.
To speak to us directly to discover all the options and find out more about how SkyKick Cloud Backup could help your business, just call the V12 Tech Team on 0330 445 0051 or email us on [email protected] www.v12tech.co.uk